Thursday, April 3, 2014

14.04.03 Total Eclipse...Of the Heart?

     I liked the imagery and descriptions in this piece. There was a description of a hotel room painting of a clown. The clown's face was made of vegetables which was very odd to try and picture. Though I can say from personal experience that I have seen many paintings like that in some shady hotels. So, that description in itself triggered a personal reaction from me.
     Moving onto page 88 Dillard begins to describe a journey that her and her husband have been taking. Pulling off the highway to climb a 500ft tall hill. There is also another identical hill adjacent to the one that Dillard and her husband are currently on top of, where others are setting up their camps. Now, when I imagine this I almost picture a movie theater, where these hills are the seats used by the movie's patrons. This would make sense since they are actually about to witness a pretty spectacular event in nature.
     There is a comparison in difference when it comes to 'partial eclipses' and total eclipses. A partial eclipse is to a total eclipse as a kiss to a man is to marrying him. I thought this was a really clever and creative to have used this analogy. This same paragraph was very informative and interesting, to be honest I had no idea things like 'partial eclipses' actually existed. Overall an interesting read to experience and I think that it is a good representation of what witnessing an eclipse is like. Even though I myself have only witnessed one eclipse in my life.

1 comment: