Wednesday, March 5, 2014

14.02.06 : The Girl with the Blackened Eye - A Response

      My reaction to this fiction piece was simple. I was hurt by reading it. I felt my heart breaking. Selfishly I put myself in the main character's situation. I think that by not giving her a name the author allows any female reader to be able to fall into this character.
    My younger sister is turning 15. I thought about her while reading this as well. I always think about her. How talented she is, how much she has going for her, and how proud I am of her. I can't imagine something like this happening to anyone close to me. But, it does happen.
   Can you imagine being in a situation like that. I've heard of children being kidnapped, and they would end up developing 'feelings' for their kidnapper. To be manipulated in that way is sick and upsetting. Can you imagine that feeling of helplessness and uncertainty that you would live to see the next morning. You submit to your kidnappers demands because you're afraid to do anything else. It's sad, it's very very sad. Oates executes this piece very well. The description of the cabin and the main character's physical state really created something uncomfortable. You can taste the blood that was rotting in her mouth, you can feel your lips start to chap, and you get this disturbing kind of image in your mind; especially if you put yourself into her shoes.
     The kidnapper we can see likes to be in control. He picks up women and used them until they are dried out. They no longer please him, and since they can't do anything to stop him he goes to extremes to dispose of these women. But why does he keep the narrator around? What makes her so special? Maybe her assumptions were correct in the idea that the kidnapper did not realize how young this girl actually was. Perhaps he has a soft spot for children? She was submissive, and innocent. Maybe he kept her around because she didn't know any better to do differently. Because of this he was successful in manipulating her. As we can clearly tell by the situation towards the end of the story, our narrator is left alone with the stolen vehicle; keys in the ignition leaving a perfect opportunity for escape.
    Not only did our narrator justify her actions because she was physically exhausted, but she chose not to escape because she claimed that she did not want to betray this man's trust. Now when you think back to what this man said earlier..."I'm going to give you your freedom." You can't honestly believe something like that. He himself is probably the least trustworthy person in her life at this point and she chooses to STAY. What does this say about the main character? And what does this say about the actions of our kidnapper? I think that the narrator was so easily given a way of escaping that it seemed too good to be true. She was scared of the outside world now because of this man. She's disfigured at the moment, people avert their eyes from her! She has had no contact with anyone else but this man for a week or more. He has used and abused her to a point where she should no longer have any self worth. BUT I think the way that this story ends REALLY says something. This girl has come out of this situation alive, and found another man whom she loves and has married and had children with. This means she did not develop a fear of men, or a fear of people. Unfortunately, she has never told anyone else about her past experiences. So maybe, she is afraid of re-living that entire situation? Or perhaps she is afraid of involving other people that she loves? I know I can relate to something like that.
   Often times I will not express my own emotions/opinions simply because I believe if I tell someone it will make me into a weak person. I'm also afraid of disagreeing with someone. I hate to cause a conflict between myself and someone else.. I think that's mostly a self confidence issue on my end though.
BUT after experiencing something like that who's to say that this woman does not now have some issues with her self image and confidence??

Overall I believe this was extremely well written and delivered in a way that will certainly make you remember it.

1 comment: